-->

May 22, 2013

Phi Phi Island Village - Bad Weather ~ Spa Day

Three nights in Bangkok feels like a week of travel anywhere else. The constant sounds of buzzing cars and rickshaws against the overload of smells coming from every inch of the street, wide enough for both vehicles and makeshift food courts, is enough to send your senses into a comma. After three days of non-stop temple tours and long winding walks through allies packed with people and unidentified dried meat, the beach was seductively calling our names.  
 When I promoted my “top honeymoon destinations” to George, the Phi Phi Islands were clearly given bonus points to boost Thailand’s score. Pictures and postcards of long boats pulled up onto deserted white beaches lined by turquoise bays and engulfed by limestone cliffs portray the ideal honeymoon destination—I thought, and clearly, George agreed (he got to make the final choice).

After landing in Phuket, we were brought aboard a lovely, large speed boat.  The sky was somewhat dark and cloudy, with patches of sun highlighting the actual electric blue color of the water as we made our way to Phi Phi Island Village. It was Friday, May 25th, and depending on what resource you refer to, the beginning of Thailand’s primary monsoon season had started and was well underway. Now, you might wonder, “How could they plan a trip to the world’s most beautiful beaches during the rainy season?” But it could not have been better! Our island experience was certainly dominated by the weather – for better and for worse – but primarily for better (much more to come).


 As soon as we stepped off the boat and onto Phi Phi Village, we (me dragging George along) made a beeline to the spa. I am not much of a souvenir person or shopper for that matter, but I had made it clear I intended to get a Thai massage, and I wasted no time.  We didn’t even change or go to our rooms. With the cloud cover, the beach was out, and a massage sounded like the perfect way to spend the rest of the day. Walking up the mountain path and into the spa lounge, the sweet lady convinced George to do a couples massage (he had never had one before this trip). We headed up to our little jungle bungalow and found a man and woman waiting for us when we opened the door.  I immediately think, “oh my gosh, George is going to freak out having a male masseuse!” I instantly turned away, fearing being completely awkward when George looked to me for help, and simply out of my mind, trying not to laugh.  

Here in the U.S., you are usually asked to lie down and then put the towel over you when you are done, and the masseuse will come back into the room, not here! Let’s just say there was a cultural difference between “personal space” and “privacy.” It was an amazing experience, but I still can’t contain my laughter when George talks about looking over at me for “a queue of what to do” and me being shamelessly already on the table looking away.  I couldn't relax several times because I was trying so hard not to laugh at what must have been running through George’s mind! I won’t go into detail, but numerous unexpected moments required the mentality we committed to at the beginning of the trip, “say yes to things you would normally say no to.”  Without question, you must indulge in a Thai massage when in Thailand, but be prepared for your expectations to be mottled by the shock of cultural divergence.  


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment