-->

October 24, 2011

Go Cheap {equals} Go Green

Regardless of how much I want a new dress I simply cannot justify buying anything not on sale. I will walk around a store with a product in hand, until I talk myself out of needing it, and put said product back on the shelf or hanger and walk away. To put it nicely, I am the cheapest person I know (my friends and family frequently remind me). As a result, I am one of the “greenest” people I know without “going green” being my main objective (even though it’s a nice bonus).


Halloween is around the corner and while my beautiful friends are gearing up to wear the most adorable, and wonderfully crafted costumes, I am sifting through the racks at my local thrift stores. What am I looking for? “Anything hot pink and a small plastic char.” I am going to be gum (hot pink) under a chair (worn as a hat). I walk away spending a total of $7.86. Not to mention, the best costume of the night.  But, the point is… my costume was “green.” I was reusing clothes and an old chair, giving it a second use, and doubling the worth of the energy that was used to produce them.


“Senior Hall of Fame” was the honored list of titles that the entire school voted for to distinguish a dozen seniors. Which title did I win? Most school spirited? No (but, I should have). Class clown? Definitely not. Most likely to succeed? Not even in the lineup. No, I was given the desirable honor of “Worst Driver.” And I have lived up to it in all aspects. This year alone I have rear-ended a motorcycle, knocked a side mirror off, dented the side of my car (garage’s fault), and knocked out a taillight.  The auto recycling business has me to thank for the majority of their business. Instead of buying new parts to replace my damaged goods I choose to use recycled auto parts. This of course is because I saved anywhere between 20% to 90% buying used parts. It was difficult to find the majority of the long list of parts I needed, but I was able to find two of the hardest by searching on PartingOut.com and by creating a Parts Wanted Listing for the one rare part. Now I have saved tons of money, and helped the environment by buying used parts. “It’s good for the earth, good for your wallet, and good for your vehicle.”


I have recently moved back to Texas from California. After selling all of my furniture (that I predominantly found in the alleys or were giveaways) on craigslist, I am now searching for new furniture. I got lucky. While at home two weekends ago, my mom and I were driving along the lake road. We stopped at a cabin for sale to take a look. We called the number and the owner said “take a look and take anything inside you want, I’m bulldozing it down tomorrow morning.” Thankfully, dad was only a phone call away with a truck. I came away with an awesome desk, small sofa, a great old chest, one dresser, two chairs, a stack of NatGeo’s, a mirror, bookshelf, and much, much, more. If we will only take the time to look in the unusual places for products and needs of all kinds we can help our wallets, our home, and beautiful earth.


Found this table in the alley.... then nailed it together and painted it ... now it is my favorite thing!
found this table in the alley
IMG 2829
Try it out… “think cheap” and in the process “go green!”




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment