-->

January 18, 2012

Perfect Trip: SoCal Day 1


Your perfect trip to Southern California

Planning a trip to California? Let me help! This blog series will include the perfect tips and ideas to plan an incredible trip to SoCal based on my personal favorite places and activities! Each day of the trip will be its own post, so keep checking back for a full two weeks of beaches, cities, restaurants, and hidden places to choose from (Geographically from Malibu to San Diego). 


While I am so happy with my career, being close to family, and most importantly, being in the same state as my fiancé, I cannot help but miss my life in California. I made every day count and feel like I truly got to experience the best parts of Southern California. When living in a new place, it is hard to go and be out and experience the place on your own, but it also gives you incredible freedom to live and see what makes your heart warm.


For me, that was being outside. I miss the lifestyle I led in California more than anything else. During the week, I woke up and walked Izzi down to the park that overlooked the beach to play ball for a little while before I biked the 40 minutes to class. The ride home was just as tough as the bike ride there. Long Beach is incredibly hilly, so the trip was literally uphill. But it was worth it; the streets were lined with precious homes, amazing flowers, and trees that only an out-of-stater could appreciate. I would spend the rest of the day sitting on my little porch in the sun, reading for my classes or thesis literature review with Izzi stretched out under my chair.


my little porch

On the weekends, we (Izzi and I) hit the road. We saw everything and loved every second. Over the next few weeks, I will be laying out my perfect trip to Southern California based on my adventures and experiences. This will be filled with my tips, secret favorite places, and actual day plans you can follow on your trips to SoCal. 


Day 1. Los Angeles
Flying into LAX is the best way to go, and it is a great central location. To venture outside your hotel in California, you need a car. So rent yourself a little sedan and get going to avoid that terrible LA traffic. Stay wherever you can get a great deal because you will have to drive no matter what. But, if you have the freedom, I recommend the Roosevelt on Hollywood Blvd.  On your first day, stick to the traditional sites like Rodeo Rd., Hollywood Blvd., and Chinese Theater and visit the Grove and Farmers’ Market for a fun shopping experience and possible celebrity sighting. I would skip the first two, but if you must, get them out of the way. 


For lunch, take a different look at LA and wander past the numerous and diverse stalls in Grove’s Farmers’ Market. You will be surprised by the greatness of the food, and the people-watching is priceless. The desert stand in the middle displaying cupcakes (the size of your fists put together) has the best red velvet cupcakes I’ve ever had (and I have a heavy resume for tasting them). 


For your first night, venture over to Los Feliz area of Los Angeles. My favorite restaurant in all of LA is Figaro’s Bistro. This jewel is straight out of a Parisian painting, with small sidewalk tables topped with candles. Inside are low-hanging chandeliers and a dark atmosphere that is so romantic whoever is sitting across from you will start to look like Paul Walker (my Hollywood crush, but insert yours). The first time I visited, I was walking by with my friend Hayley, and I was so taken aback by how precious this place as we sat outside and shared a crumpet (yes, a crumpet).




Until a beautiful white Mercedes Benz pulled up to the curb, Hayley and I had been completely oblivious of Paula Abdul sitting two small tables away. As she stood up and quickly got in the car, we both said, “She is so little!” Could be the smallest woman I have ever seen. At another time, my sister and I saw Natalie Portman here, pre-Oscar. 



the other side, "the lounge," is my favorite part of the restaurant


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment