-->

February 3, 2012

Perfect Trip: SoCal Day 7 & 8 a day in Long Beach and Naples Island


Day 7 Beach Heaven 

Experiencing the ideal SoCal beach scene, depicted in magazines and daydreams alike, will lead you to the three neighbors of Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo Beach. All three of these small and immaculately clean beach towns will fill your desire for sunshine, bike riding, surfing, or playing beach volleyball. The crowd is also a pleasant visual. Shopping is great, the restaurants are chic, and all three can be found close to the beach. They are on the upper scale of shopping and eating, as are the tourists and locals.  This doesn’t require a lot of direction; they are beach towns, after all, so I will move on to the next place to nest….


Day 8 Long Beach 


I lived in Long Beach for two years and truly do not think I would want to live anywhere else in California if I had my pick with unlimited resources. This is probably shocking to residents of the surrounding area and even locals. But Long Beach had the perfect touch of class, beach, art scene, eccentric people, and laid-back attitude for me, not to mention it is directly in the middle of anywhere you could want to visit. In every direction, as soon as you leave Long Beach, you will enter an atmosphere of “better than you,” which is not all bad, but in Long Beach, you are just as you are, and it is fine. 


I would schedule two nights here, and I would suggest downtown. There is easy access to all the major highways from there, and you can still find your way to exciting nightlife and fun restaurants. My favorite lunch place in Long Beach for lunch is Hole Mole; get the fish tacos (at least 3). The fact that they are the only place in SoCal with Texas-size to-do cups gains a lot of favor with me, too! Sit out on the porch and think of me. How much I wish I was in your place! 



Take the day to get to know Long Beach, something most tourists rarely do. One of the unique places nowhere else can compete with is 4th Street; park at the crossing of Cherry Ave and 4rd street. Known as Retro Row, this street is full of vintage clothing stores, antique shops, off-the-wall restaurants, and stores that just can’t be put into a clear category. This was constantly a favorite destination for my visitors, and they always came away with incredible treasures and one-of-a-kind souvenirs. One of the great things about Long Beach is the coffee shops; they are everywhere. I don’t drink coffee, but I would still head to the end of 4th Street and bring a book or my laptop to spend time on Portfolio’s patio or inside huddled up in an overstuffed chair. Grab a tea, or coffee at the least just to go in and see the local crowed doing their thing, you will be thirsty from walking anyways. 





Jump in the car and head back towards the Ocean (this is how I always got around); once you hit Ocean Blvd, take a left until you run into 2nd Street. You will know you are there by the adorable shops both familiar and the incredible boutiques like Romance Etc, which happens to be my favorite store I have ever been to, and true to my nature I am not sure I have ever bought anything from there! Just love it, though. However, keep on driving, and you will be back. You are about to go over the sweetest harbor you have ever seen. Once at the top, hopefully, there won’t be anyone behind you; take time to look over and admire how adorable this little inlet of boats and blue water is. As soon as you get over the second bridge, take a right onto the strange, seemingly uninteresting street. Then prepare yourself; you are now on Naples Island


This little island is some of the most expensive real estate in Southern California, and for good reason. I loved to spend a warm afternoon biking or walking Izzi through the canals, which makes this place so special. Like Venice Beach, the canals have walking paths along them, but in my opinion Naples’ are much better. The homes are all unique and, as I mentioned, adorable! I love how these homes have extended their houses out into the front yard but left off the walls and just put up a substantial waist-high gate to keep the dogs in. You will see what I mean. 


Strangely, the most beautiful days I have ever experienced in Long Beach were in December; the sun was always out, and the sky seemed clear and crisper. If you are here this month, you must attend the Naples Island boat parade. All those with boats light them up and decorate them like we do our homecoming floats in Texas. Then, there is a parade through the canals, but that is not where the spectacle ends. The homes are more decorated with Christmas lights and décor than I have ever seen in any condensed area.  Each house could light up an entire block in Fort Worth. It is spectacular, and like I said, everyone is enjoying the night in their extended living room, or as we would call it, front yard.




Once you have spent an hour or so falling in love with this little community and feel you can part, head back to 2nd Street or to your hotel to change. If you are a shopper, keep on rolling and find yourself surprised at the variety of options, not just in clothes but all types of great shops along this promenade. My favorite restaurant, where I have ever eaten, is here: Open Sesame.  This restaurant haunts me in my dreams. It is Lebanese, so you will taste the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean flavors come together. Get the chicken skewers; the sauce that comes with it is to die for, the pita bread is the melt-in-your-mouth, the hummus is silky smooth, and the olives are perfect. This is a must on your list, no matter what! 


If you are big on nightlife, stay where you are; there are plenty of places to kick back along this strip. If you are a fan of True Blood, head to Alex’s Bar. It is a little ways away, but it will be a neat experience. I have never seen the show, but apparently, those who have been there with me say it differs from the show, but you can still see where everything takes place. Long Beach, in general, is a great place to spot filming crews; the street I lived on was a mecca for CSI Miami and Bones. If you would like a lower-key, local hang-out to visit, try The Pike. There is usually a band and the food is great, sorry again I can’t comment on the drink specials.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment