-->

June 15, 2012

Bring Bridal Portraits to Life with a Punch of Color!

There are trends for engagement, wedding, and, of course, bridal portraits that every bride stores away in her “wedding notebook.” For the past few seasons, incorporating unique backdrops like untraveled highways and salvage yards has replaced the typical Victorian staircase.

I took these all into consideration when planning my bridal session. One thing was certain: I was getting married outside, and my bridals would only fit outside where my heart belonged. I did land on one trend that I knew I had to have… “vintage sofa in a field.” I had seen this several times but wasn't sure how you were supposed to get your hands on a gorgeous antique sofa covered in fuchsia velvet, like the particular picture that gave me the inspiration. After showing this picture to my mom and discussing the logistics, she set out: garage sales, estate sales, and auctions.

Luckily, she found a tremendous antique sofa at an estate sale for literally a fraction of a fraction of what it would cost in a store. The only issue was it was covered in an old flower pattern that would make your great-grandmother Ruby look young.  So, we went to the local hardware store and bought bright yellow wall paint. Yes, wall paint. After three coats, the pattern underneath was barely noticeable, and we had the most incredible statement sofa in Texas.






The decision to go with bright yellow initially was my desire to go with a pea green. Once we were standing in front of the wall of paint strips, however, I decided to just go for it and make that sofa spring out of the field it would soon be resting in. The result was amazing, and I am so glad I went for that bright punch of color! So go bold when planning your bridals, and start now!


We started the sofa expedition nine months before the wedding. Planning is a crucial element if you want to have bridals with personality—mothers, however, are the key ingredient. 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment