-->

July 6, 2012

DIYS wedding: It’s all in the details


My mom, sister, and I had fun wrapping presents in brown sack paper and stamping sweet verses, sayings, and names on the packages this Christmas. When we were done opening on Christmas, I cut the bags up into little strips. I had no idea what I would do with them, but I started stamping love sayings, such as “past, present, future,” “always and forever,” “forever mine,” “one sweet love,” etc on the strips. I scrolled these around the tables to add a fun spirit and make each unique.








To cover the electrical boxes, my mom and sister picked up drop cloths (the kind you get from the hardware store to keep paint off the floor or cover furniture), and my sister freehanded a verse and a saying on them. These were incredible for breaking up the bare walls and also a fun touch that was meaningful and added to our “homemade” flare.






On a rainy day, when outside work was tough, my dad and George got to work on the “sign” I wanted.  As a geographer, I wanted to have a sign pointing to the places that were most important to George and me. This included where we met, at TCU, where we both grew up, our honeymoon destination, and a few others, plus the general direction for the ceremony and reception.  We sawed a couple of boards in half and then “arrowed” the tips. With a thick black sharpie, once again, Constance free-handed the names.  The wood came from the salvage yard, so it was repurposed, like the barn, and then white-washed with leftover paint and a buck of water. 




My sweet mother bought tall candles in glass from the dollar store and then made each one a statement piece we scattered around the barn and tables. She cut old music paper and words from magazines and used Mod Podge gloss luster to seal them around the candle. She then added different details for each candle. Some were the simple music paper, a little glitter sprinkled on, others had small pieces of twine tied around in a bow and an antique earring tied on. We had fun making these at home; they were a romantic touch. 
















Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful idea! I actually found you from watching DCC, because although you didn't make the team you stood out the most. After digging around on your blog, I know it's because the sweet girl auditioning for DCC is genuine and truly led by God to be used as whatever instrument fits His plan best.Gods plans are always better, even if we do t realize it at the time. Looks like you're doing great and I hope others realize that sometimes our plans are limited by the cap we impose on ourselves. We think one goal is what we really want (make the team, get into this program, get that position), but in reality God wants to remove those caps sometimes and take us beyond our imagination, and in the end His plan is beyond our wildest dreams! Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete