-->

March 7, 2012

Saying "yes!" When Moving to a New City


The first month of living in Long Beach, California, without a friend in the world, was tough.  Soon enough, I found myself with an ultimatum: go solo and be active, or become best friends with my TV. I chose the first. I adopted a “yes man” mentality and started doing anything I was invited to, but more importantly, I started saying yes to my desires. One of the first of these was to join a sand volleyball team on Meetup.com. I rode my bike down to the beach and found myself looking at ten courts full of people I didn’t know. I started asking people if they were the meet-up group and finally came to the proper court.

This was scary and not fun at first, but the time I spent on Wednesday evenings on the beach playing sand volleyball was amazing! I ended up with a handful of new friends, great exercise, and was a part of something I’ll never get to do again. When you move to a new place, you must tell yourself to say “yes!”

I have mentioned Izzi, and I hit the road every weekend, and what guided me was my interests. I spent most of these adventures alone, so I could spend as much time there as I wanted, lingering and really experiencing places that moved me. The Getty Villa is one of those places. If I had visited this magical place with friends, I would have been pushed through and rushed. I spend the entire day there on my clock and am so thankful. This is what moving to a new place can give you.

This will not last forever, and you will start building a group of friends. But even then, include them in your “yes” mentality. My friend Kat one day asked me, “I was thinking about going swing dancing; would you go with me?” She initiated the plan, and I said, “Yes!!!”

What happened next still thrills me to say, “I am an avid swing dancer!” When you say yes, you might end up starting a new hobby you will keep with you for your entire life. Kat and I spent the next two years swing dancing at Atomic Ballroom in Irvin every Tuesday and most Friday nights. We also got all dolled up in our vintage outfits and sought out famous swing clubs in Los Angeles that were iconic hangouts for Frank Sinatra, like Cicada Club. That one “yes” led me to many adventures and has given me a passion for a hobby I will always keep up with.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment